Saturday, January 3, 2015

Xurros and Xo Co La Ta

When I eat xurros (churros) and xocolata (chocolate), I think of my high school Spanish book, then called Churros and Chocolate. When I was in high school, I never understood why this book was called that, it just didn't make sense to me. Churros was a Mexican thing, not a Spanish thing. And the chocolate part seemed even more strange; what did chocolate have to do with churros? The mind of an untraveled high school student wonders at the inadequacy of the title. Since living in Spain, I see how culturally confused and mistaken I was. Churro and chocolate stands are ubiquitous corner sights or minuscule shops tucked between large shops here in Spain. They are winter food fare or the late night snack after leaving a night club and walking home at 6 a.m.

Our stand happens to be in a park next to kiddy bouncers and a merry-go-round. We set our motor bike helmets down, sat on the stools, and ordered a bag of ten churros with two cups of hot chocolate to dip the churros in. You dip each churro into the hot chocolate before eating it. When the fried, sugar coated pastry treats were gone, we drank the remaining dense, warm chocolate.

Adeu!

Blurry xurros, sorry.



See the chocolate covered churros hanging from the yellow ribbon? Not very appetizing decor. 

That is not me or my man, but another couple ordering xurros and hot chocolate.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Gràcies per compartir els teus pensaments!