Monday, August 22, 2011

Feina Terminada!

This summer was remarkably dull. I didn't fly to California nor did I travel locally in Spain, but I did get a lot accomplished by staying home and getting home projects finished. I sort of felt imprisoned in my own home by not being able to leave even when the day's job was done. I had to vacuum, remove dust, mop, move furniture, and sweep up dirt on a daily basis. On the up side, we have a new patio floor and had the inside of our flat painted --two enormous projects that entailed my constant presence to supervise and let workers come in and out of the house to bring and remove project materials. Along the way I made friends with Eusebio and Marcos, the two construction workers who appeared to be my house guests over the summer. I at first complained about their slow approach to work on the first day, but over time I really came to enjoy their presence. They chipped away, dug, stirred mortar, and set patio tiles while we casually talked about money, food, foul weather, hunting for rabbits, and their summer homes in Huesca. When the work was completed, Eusebio brought me three different plantes. In gratitude of the incredible work they did and their honest suggestions of how the tile would look better set a certain way, I baked them both carrot cake, an all American pastís de pastanaga they were unfamiliar with.


Quips from Eusebio:
Díos mio!  (as he set tiles)
No es rico el que más tiene, sino el que menos necesita. 
Ya casi tengo vacaciones!
Buying property is a good investment.
El que paga manda.


Quips from Marcos:
Buying property is not a good investment.
Los niños son una hipoteca.
Eusebio, you're making me do all the work while you talk to Patri.
Me siento mal, estuve en el bar viendo la Super Copa hasta las dos (and he had too many beers).


Do not know where to plant this one.

geranium

I can't remember the name of this one though I have seen it before.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Gràcies per compartir els teus pensaments!